MHG1323 - Site of Cairn or Broch, E End Sinclair St, Halkirk
This was once the site of a cairn or broch. It was removed in the mid C19.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) BROCH (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
GR corected to above - HAW 8/2004
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 23 December 1981.
Pict's House (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1877)
There is neither stone nor hillock at site of this Pictish house, which stood at E end of Sinclair Street. It was destroyed a number of years ago by a tenant of the croft on which it was situated. Nothing worthy of notice was found in its ruins.
Name Book 1872.
ND15 13 HALKIRK ('Pict’s house')
Site of possible broch or cairn which stood at the east end of Sinclair Street in Halkirk. There is nothing to be seen now, the mound having been destroyed some years ago by the tenant of the croft on which it stood. It could have been a cairn as easily as a broch.
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 15 NW 10: 2. Swanson (ms) 1985, 645. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 80.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND15 13 HALKIRK.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1348 5952 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8300 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.