MHG1324 - Chapel, Achardale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Chapel (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1877)
The remains of an ancient chapel that stood in centre of an ancient burial ground. From local tradition it seems to have been a Roman Catholic chapel. The grave yard has not been used as such since about 1810.
Name Book 1872.
(ND 1162 5653) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1970)
Immediately adjacent to published chapel site, is a small rectangular footing, believed by farmer at Achardale to be remains of chapel, and verified as such by field examination.
The footing is turf-covered and measures 5.7m E-W by 3.5m within a turf-covered wall spread from 1.5 to 2m and 0.4m high internally. At W end a depressioin in wall is possibly the entrance. A slight scarp, 14m to N of chapel, is possibly limit of burial ground; elsewhere its margin cannot be ascertained. No grave markers are visible. The site is placed on a slight terrace immediately above the flood plain of River Thurso; no other structures occur in the immediate vicinity.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J B) 22 February 1982
Chapel. Dimensions: 5.7 x 3.5m. Turf-covered remains of an ancient chapel defined by walls 0.4m high, with a possible entrance on the W side. A slight scarp 14m N of structure may indicate limit of an associated burial ground. A flat stone, possibly a grave marker, lies in this area.
R J Mercer, NMRS mS/828/19, 1995
- --- SHG1654 Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55-6.
- --- SHG3372 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 119.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1161 5653 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8301 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.