MHG1332 - Possible Site of Chapel, Gerston
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
No further information. Visited by OS (JB) 23 December 1981
Chapel (NR) (Supposed Site of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Tradition affirms that a chapel stood near here, which was no doubt surrounded by a graveyard. A piece of an old font, said to have belonged to the chapel, was seen. Human remains were often dug up in the garden. However, no distinct site can be pointed out (see also ND15NW 3 and 4). Name Book 1872
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.4, 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1225 5935 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8310 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.