MHG1338 - St Katherine's Chapel, Halkirk

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

'There are various references to a chapel used by the Bishops and dedicated to St Katherine. Writing in 1769 Rev. Alexander Pope of Reay describes it as near the Bishop's castle (ND15NW 18, at ND 138 599) with nothing remaining except a heap of rubbish.
In Sinclair's book The Gunns it is described as having stood in a green spot full of stones near Quoycrook but the exact location of the site is now unknown.'
L J Myatt 1975.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1300 5900 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND15NW
Civil Parish HALKIRK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.