MHG1346 - Halkirk Old Parish Church, Halkirk
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
See ND15NW0094 Halkirk Old Parish Burial Ground
J Aitken : 05/12/02
Abbey Church, Halkirk. Georgian T plan church built in 1753, repaired in 1833.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Abbey Church, now disused, is as described above. It has been superseded as a place of worship by the church at ND 1300 5942. No further info regarding the old chapel was found.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 December 1981
Abbey Church (NAT) OS 6" map, (1970)
Halkirk church, built in 1753 and repaired in 1833, is a good example of a Georgian T-plan church, though it has been much altered internally and now appears to be quietly decaying.
G Hay 1957
ND15NW 6 1352 5969.
Church (NAT) on Site of (NAT) Chapel (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
The present parish church is built on site of an old chapel, but no information can be had in this neighbourhood in connection with it. Part of the ruins were standing when the church was built.
Name Book 1872
- --- SHG1654 Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 57.
- --- SHG2307 Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 92.
- --- SHG3372 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 83-4.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- --- SHG3698 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1352 5969 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7801 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1731 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8325 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.