MHG1352 - Battle Site, Skida Mire
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (CULTURE 800; CULTURE NORSE; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
Grid Reference ND 1782 5424 corrected to ND 17708 54373
ND15SE 12 1782 5424.
(ND 1782 5424) Supposed Site of Battle (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Torfaeus (1866) says this is the site of the Battle of Skida Mire, between Liotus Earl of Orkney and his brother, Sculius, for the Earldom of Caithness, during the reign of Malcolm I (943-54).
NSA (1845) says the battle took place at Kilmster in Bower parish.
T Torfaeus 1866; NSA 1845; Name Book 1871; RCAHMS 1911.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, (Caithness), 115.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Torfaeus, T. 1866. Ancient history of Orkney, Caithness, etc..
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 57-2.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1770 5437 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8332 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.