MHG13539 - Standing Stone - Cnoc Na Maranaich
A standing stone recorded immediately east of a chambered cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
ND13SW 11 131 331.
(A: ND 1318 3315) Chambered Cairn (NR) (See MHG1255)
(B: ND 1320 3315) Standing Stone (NR) (This record)
(C: ND 1323 3307) Cairn (NR) (See MHG38945)
OS 6" map, (1962)
On the summit of Cnoc na Maranaich are the remains of a large cairn (A) about 60ft in diameter and 7ft maximum height. It is partially turf-covered, but the centre has been broken into. Amidst the chaos one large upright stone is visible, while a number of other similar slabs lie about. Their number and size strongly suggest that the cairn has covered a chamber.
There is a standing stone (B) 20ft E of 'A'. It is a slab of rectangular cross-section, pointed at the top, 8ft 4ins high, 3ft 4ins wide at the base, and 11ins thick.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1955.
This chambered cairn and standing stone are as described.
Visited by OS (W D J) 27 June 1960.
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (J M) 17 August 1982.
GIS Spatial data adjusted 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 76, No. 276.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 269, CAT 20.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1320 3314 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:443 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM443 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8203 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.