MHG1356 - St Trostan's Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Chapel, St Trostan's. No structurral traces exist, but there are a number of prostrate stones which indicate the site of a graveyard.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
The site is generally as described by RCAHMS. A number of small to medium prostrate slabs are in evidence but none are specifically identified as grave markers. There is no trace of a chapel.
Visited by OS (J M) 11 November 1981
Graveyard (NR) and site of (NAT) St Trostan's Chapel (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
St Trostan's Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 25" map, (1967)
The site of the graveyard of St Trostan's Chapel is indicated by a stony patch of rough pasture in the corner of an arable field. No trace of the chapel is now to be seen.
Visited by OS (R D) 12 February 1965.
This unenclosed graveyard marks site of St Trostan's Chapel. The graveyard, which measures some 60 by 45ft, is entireley overgrown with grass and weeds, beneath which the presence of numerous gravestones is evident.
St Trostan's Chapel (NR) (Site of) Grave Yard (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1908)
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 61.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 19, 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1269 5233 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8352 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.