MHG1357 - Broch, Tulach an Fhuarain
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Tulach An Fhuarain (Brough) (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1908)
The mound known as 'Tulach an Fhuarain' is of indeterminate character, but depressions on top of it are suggestive of a broch. Its greatest height is 8ft; in diameter it measures 105ft N-S by 90ft transversely. The lesser diameter is due to removal of part of the mound in formation of a road (RCAHMS 1911). Not mentioned in the list of brochs (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; A Graham 1949.
The remains of Tulach an Fhuarain are as described above, except that it is now a shapeless, mutilated mound, measuring 30 by 20m. Part of its N side has been removed. On top, outline of what may be part of a wall is visible, existing as a grass-covered protrusion 0.2m high. This feature may equally be a cairn or a broch.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 12 February 1965.
(ND 1287 5208) Tulach an Fhuarain (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
Tulach an Fhuarain is a truncated broch mound, as described by previous authorites. It is situated on edge of a terrace above flood plain of River Thurso, similarly to ND15SW 20. Though mutilated, it displays in part mound-on-mound effect common to Caithness brochs.
Visited by OS (N K B) 19 February 1982
'Broch', 'Tulach an Fhurain'. Dimensions: 30 x 20m. Mutilated broch mound with a mound on the mound formation very clear on NE side.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
ND15 20 TULACH AN FHUARAIN ('Tulach an Fheurain')
Possible broch in Halkirk, Caithness, consisting of a featureless mound part of the north side of which has been removed; it stands on the edge of a terrace above the flood plain of the river Thurso. There is a suggestion of a mound on top of a platform, similar to other known Caithness brochs .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 15 SW 18: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 41, no. 144: 3. Swanson (ms) 1985, 666. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 48-99.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 41, No. 144.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND15 20 TULACH AN FHUARAIN.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1287 5207 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM494 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8353 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.