MHG13628 - 19th century Battery, Chapel Point
A 19th century battery, used in the training of the Thurso Company of Artillery Volunteers.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The outjutting rocks in this area are called "Battery Point" implying that this is an older defensive site than this century. <1>
The revettment wall and a small building of a battery are marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, together with a flagstaff. The site has been remodelled by the time of the 2nd edition OS map. The site is now in use as a Coastguard lookout position. <2>-<4>
This was the training battery for the Thurso (2nd) company of Artillery Volunteers, raised in 1859. The site has now been destroyed, and some earth mounds and a new stone seat, together with the place name, are all that mark the spot. <5>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <5> Text/Publication/Article: Watson, G. 1996. The Artillery Batteries at Mey and Castletown (Caithness Field Club Bulletin Vol. 5 Number 8). Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. Volume 5, Number 8.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1110 6901 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.