MHG1369 - The Wag


No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HEAD DYKE (Undated)
  • ENCLOSURE (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

Nouag - 5 buildings shown. W Roy 1747-55.

'Nouag' is the shortened gaelic form of 'The Wag'.
A deserted crofting community comprising ruins of four long houses, several subsidiary buildings, a number of enclosures, and stretches of field walls. Strip cultivation is in evidence.
Visited by OS 6 August 1982.

A township comprising seven unroofed buildings, four of which are long buildings, six enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxxviii). Six unroofed buildings, six enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on current edition of OS 1:10,560 map (1962).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 8 January 1996.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred ND 1059 3336 (333m by 396m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND13SW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.