MHG1371 - Possible Broch, Olrig House
Possible Iron Age Broch which has also been interpreted as a cairn and mound.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) MOUND (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
'Broch'. Dimensions: 48 x 46m. Subcircular grass-covered mound, ploughed into on the NE and NW flanks.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
A turf-covered, bowl-shaped mound as described above. No stones are exposed, and the turf mantle is indistinguishable from the surrounding ground. There are no diagnostic features exposed to enable classification.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 March 1982
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
A low mound as described above. No stones are visible, but it is probably a cairn.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 February 1965
Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1960)
Classified as an uncertain broch. A Graham 1949
Broch (supposed), Olrig House: A large grassy mound, it has been much spread through being at one time under cultivation, and now has a diameter of c120ft and a height of about 7ft. It is probably a broch, but no part of the structure is visible (RCAHMS 1911).
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 88, No. 323 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 88, No. 323.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1889 6627 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:571 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM571 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8386 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.