MHG1373 - Mound, Serpent Hillock
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOUND (Undated)
- None recorded
The county road runs trhough a so-called 'Pict's house' at Murkle. Thurso Town Council 1934.
The 'Pict's house' noted above may be Serpent Hillock, an elongated mound published by OS at ND 1600 6825, and cut by the public road. There is no evidence of a man-made structure. The mound, 140m long, about 20m average width, and 2.5m high, appears wholly natural and no finds are known to have been made on or near it. Some loose stones lying on surface on the part S of road have probably been dumped. There is no trace of stonework in the roadside ditch apart from that which is clearly modern.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 March 1982.
An earthwork comprising a subcircular, grass-covered bank 70 by 60m and 3m high.
R J Mercer 1981
Earthwork, "Serpent Hillock". Dimensions: 70 x 60m. Subcircular grass-covered bank 3m high. Visited 1986.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
- --- SHG2511 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 62, 154, No. 517; map.
- --- SHG2883 Text/Publication/Volume: Thurso Town Council. 1934. Thurso: official guide. 29.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1599 6825 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8389 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.