MHG1376 - Broch, Burnside
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 7 December 1981.
Broch (NR) (rems of) OS &2 map, (1970)
The broch, situated on a level field, stands on an amorphous grassy mound, 3.2m max height, which appears to be artificial with many stone slabs visible in the steeply scarped slopes. The broch is a stony circular mound with a 0.6m deep indentation in the centre, and is in all other respects as described above. On the level area between the broch and outer slopes of the platform on which it stands, can be seen a vague grassy bank, 0.5m high, on the N, which is probably either part of an outer defence, or the remains of a collection of cells associated with the broch.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 16 February 1965.
Broch, Murkle: About 1/2 mile SSE of West Murkle is a grassy hillock on top of which are the remains of a broch. The lower slope, which is steeply scarped, has an elevation of about 8ft, and between its upper edge and the higher portion of the hillock containing the broch, is a level area measuring some 28 to 30ft in width. The upper mound has a diameter of about 60ft and a height of some 8ft. No part of the structure is visible. The hillock has to some extent been ploughed down and broken into on the E side (RCAHMS 1911). Querns and human remains have been found here (ONB 1872).
Name Book 1872; RCAHMS 1911.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 7, 17 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3394.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 87, No. 319 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 87, No. 319.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 7, 17.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1626 6881 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- QUERN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:531 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM531 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8392 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.