MHG1383 - Broch, Cairn of Sibmister
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Cairn of Sibmister (NAT) Broch (NR) (rems of) OS 6" map, (1970)
Broch, Sibminster: On top of a high grassy hillock are remains of a broch. The scarp of the hillock, which is steep, rises to a height of about 18ft on W, and somewhat less on other side; and toward the top of it the face of a revetment is exposed. The broch, which is about 6ft high, has been situated some 20-30ft back from top of the scarp. The outline of rim is v indefinite, but diameter appears to be about 56ft. The top of the hillock measures some 110ft in diameter (RCAHMS 1911). Listed as a broch (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949
This broch, generally as described above, has many stone slabs protruding through the steep outer slopes of the mound, and no walling is visible.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 17 June 1965
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 7 December 1981
'Broch', Sibmister. Dimensions: 33 x 32m. Grass-covered mound 1.5m high set on a steep-sided natural hillock. Central mound has a diameter of 16.5m, 0.4m high. There are indications of possible structures on S sector.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
ND16 12 SIBMISTER ('Cairn of Sibmister') ND/1651 6622
Possible broch in Olrig, Caithness, consisting of a mound with stone slabs protruding on top of a grassy hillock; no clear signs of masonry are visible, except that a revetment is exposed near the top of the underlying hillock .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 16 NE 3: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 87, no. 321: 3. Anderson 1890, 184. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 95.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 87, No. 321.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND16 12 SIBMISTER.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1652 6621 (84m by 84m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM535 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8403 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.