MHG13835 - Cross Slab - Cnoc an Tionail, Canna
A cross slab found on the shore. It is thought to have come from the old St. Columbas Chapel Burial Ground, but was dispersed with others when the chapel was destroyed in the 19th century. It is now preserved at Canna House.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
Preserved at Canna House is a cross-slab, found on the shore at NG 2717 0473. Mrs J. Campbell of Canna House believes that this cross slab came from the old St. Columbus Chapel Burial ground (MHG3179) and was dispersed (along with three others associated with it) when the chapel was destroyed in the mid 19th century.
Visited by OS, A A, June 1972
(3) Canna House, found on the shore near Tarbert (NG c.240 053) Fragment of a small pillar of Torridonian sandstone, 0.16m high by 1.05m wide and 45mm thick. On one face it bears a cross which retains some peck-marks in the broad shallow grooves. The slightly curving transom spans the width of the cross, but the shaft is incomplete and it is not certain whether the surviving fragment is the top or foot of the stone. <1>
A’ Chill 3 (St Columba), Canna, Skye & Lochalsh, cross-slab fragment
Measurements: H 0.16m, W 0.10m, D 0.05m
Stone type: Torridonian sandstone
Place of discovery: NG 2691 0540
Present location: in Canna House.
Evidence for discovery: found on the shore near Tarbert on the south coast of Canna.
Present condition: weathered and missing its top portion.
This small slab is incised with a Latin cross using wide grooving, but the top of the upper arm is missing.
Date range: seventh or eighth century.
Primary references: Fisher 2001, 96-7.
Compiled by A Ritchie 2016
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 319885.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Fisher, I.. 2001. Early Medieval Sculpture in the West Highlands and Islands 2001. Fisher, I.. Paper (Original). Pp. 97.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2716 0472 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319885/canna-a-chill-st-columbas-chapel (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.