MHG13889 - BA Socketed Axeheads - Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Two bronze socketed axes listed from Skye without further information or exact provenance. <1>
Both in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. <2>
Acc. No. DE 39 and 40.
Visited by OS, C F W December 1960
One measures 2 3/4 x 2 in., the other 3 1/2 x 2 1/8 in. They were acquired by the NMS in 1784 from Reverend Donald McQueen. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. .
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. pp 69.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DE 39-40.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4500 3000 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-103-031-C& (Link to NMS online collections database DE 40)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-689-C& (Link to NMS online collections database DE 39)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.