MHG1391 - St. Trothans Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
ND16NE0119 Graveyard
JAitken : 08/01/03
------
ND16NE 4 1868 6705.
St Trothan's Church (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)

The ruins of Olrig Parish Church, known as St Trothan's: The structure is roofless and the gables and walls, entirely overgrown with ivy, are levelled to a height of about 10ft all round. The church has measured 49ft by 26ft over all. It presents no features on interest and is said to have been erected in 1633. An old font stands on the left side of the gate to the churchyard.
RCAHMS 1911

St Trothan's Church is as described by RCAHMS. The entrance, at E end, and windows on S side are filled in. A locked door on S side bars entrance to church. A stone surmounting NE corner bears the date 1633. The graveyard is no longer in use.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 October 1981

St Trothan's church and burial ground. Ivy-covered church without a roof, the walls consolidated, associated with a burial ground.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995


George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 87, No. 317 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1867 6705 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND16NE
Civil Parish OLRIG
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.