MHG1394 - Windmill, Castlehill Pavement Works

Summary

C19 windmill. The well preserved stone tower which would have been topped with a wooden cap and sails remains.

Type and Period (1)

  • WINDMILL (Built, 19th Century - 1824 AD to 1872 AD (between))

Protected Status

Full Description

Pumping Windmill, masonry rubble stump of a small unit probably used to pump the quarry workings. For details of the stump see MS/500/15/17.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD) November 1991

The windmill, which would originally have been topped with a wooden cap and sails, would have pumped water from the quarry into the adjacent dam. The dam would then have provided the water to power a waterwheel, which drove the saws used to cut and trim the flagstones in the cutting yard <1>.

The windmill fell out of use between 1872 and 1906; it is annotated as 'Old Windmill' on the second edition 25" OS map of 1906. The remains of the windmill form part of the Castlehill Flagstone Trail <2>.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 54, 193 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Douglas, Oglethorpe and Hume, G, M and J R, 1984, Scottish windmills: a survey, 3, 27-8, app 55, 63, 64 (Text/Report). SHG2135.


<1> Close-Brooks, J, 1995, The Highlands, Pg 61-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG22769.


<2> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1951 6860 (3m by 3m)
Map sheet ND16NE
Civil Parish OLRIG
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.