MHG1394 - Windmill, Castlehill Pavement Works
C19 windmill. The well preserved stone tower which would have been topped with a wooden cap and sails remains.
Type and Period (1)
- WINDMILL (Built, 19th Century - 1824 AD to 1872 AD (between))
Pumping Windmill, masonry rubble stump of a small unit probably used to pump the quarry workings. For details of the stump see MS/500/15/17.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD) November 1991
The windmill, which would originally have been topped with a wooden cap and sails, would have pumped water from the quarry into the adjacent dam. The dam would then have provided the water to power a waterwheel, which drove the saws used to cut and trim the flagstones in the cutting yard <1>.
The windmill fell out of use between 1872 and 1906; it is annotated as 'Old Windmill' on the second edition 25" OS map of 1906. The remains of the windmill form part of the Castlehill Flagstone Trail <2>.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 54, 193 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Douglas, Oglethorpe and Hume, G, M and J R, 1984, Scottish windmills: a survey, 3, 27-8, app 55, 63, 64 (Text/Report). SHG2135.
<1> Close-Brooks, J, 1995, The Highlands, Pg 61-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG22769.
<2> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
- --- Text/Report: Douglas, Oglethorpe and Hume, G, M and J R. 1984. Scottish windmills: a survey. . 3, 27-8, app 55, 63, 64.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 54, 193.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1995. The Highlands. Paper (Original). Pg 61-2.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1951 6860 (3m by 3m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4274 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4274 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8418 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.