MHG1398 - Cairn, Ring Hillock
Site of cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Cairn, Ring Hillock: This small cairn measures some 38ft in diameter and is 5ft 6ins high. It does not appear to have been excavated. <1>
The site was Scheduled in 1938.
Ring Hillock, a conical grass-covered cairn, situated on top of a hill, is as described above. Many stone slabs protrude through the cairn surface.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 17 February 1965
Ring Hillock (NAT) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
Ring Hillock is as described by the previous authorities. The protruding stones are from the body of the cairn, not a cist or chamber.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 December 1981.
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <2>
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 88, No. 326 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amendment to the Schedule of Monuments Feb 2016: SM474: Ring Hillock, cairn 280m S of Breezy Brae (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27173.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 88, No. 326.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amendment to the Schedule of Monuments Feb 2016: SM474: Ring Hillock, cairn 280m S of Breezy Brae. Historic Environment Scotland. 09/03/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1990 6595 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM474 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/SM474 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8422 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.