MHG14 - Ballachulish slate quarries, West and East Laroch
The main areas of slate quarrying at Ballachulish, active from c.1693 to 1955.
Type and Period (1)
- SLATE QUARRY (In use, 17th Century to 20th Century - 1693 AD? to 1955 AD)
- None recorded
Ballachulish Slate Quarries [NAT] (at NN 085 581)
OS 1:10,000 map, 1990.
Slate quarries, East and west Laroch, Ballachulish. Founded c. 1693. There are two main quarries here. The larger (NN 085 583) is partly flooded, though terraced workings, like those in North Wales, may also be seen. An inclined plane survies, built of slate rubble, with an arch over the former main road. The other quarry (NN 073 582) is not as interesting. There are harbours (NN05NE 12) formed out of quarry waste.
J R Hume 1977.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 155; pl. p. 155.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1975. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the ancient monuments: volume 2: Lorn. . p. 277, No. 350; pl. 105.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). p 156.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 08004 58229 (1458m by 463m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23552 (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore web site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.