MHG1402 - Road, Bishops Walk

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • ROAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Bishop's Walk (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

Bishop's Walk: A terrace-walk, formerly a favourite resort of the Bishop.
Name Book 1872.

An old roadway or terrace walk, cut in face of the bank between the ruins of the Bishop's Castle (ND16NW 3) and burn at Scrabster House (ND06NE 5). It is almost entirely destroyed and only about 100 yds of it remains.
RCAHMS 1911; D Beaton 1909; J B Craven 1886.

All that now remains of Bishop's Walk is a grass-covered terrace running along face of the steep escarpment, the Braes of Scrabster, about halfway down from the top. The terrace width varies from 4m to 3m and it extends from ND 1023 6942 to ND 1037 6930. No traces of the Walk were seen to N or S of the stretch, due to erosion.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 16 April 1962.

(ND 1030 6936) Bishop's Walk (NR) OS 1:1250 map, (1965)

No change. Visited by OS (J M) 24 September 1981.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1030 6936 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND16NW
Civil Parish THURSO
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.