MHG1409 - Chapel, Kirk Ebb
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
To W of the harbour bar at Thurso there was a kirk, 'the kirk at the ebb', whose memory is perpetuated in the place-name Kirk Ebb. It stood till recent times in ruins, and about forty to fifty years ago they were quite noticeable. From a drawing still preserved it appears to have been supported at the sides by high buttresses, in which were niches for statues, and to have had a great window similar to St Peter's (ND16NW 10). There seems also to have been a clerestory if not undervaultings.
J B Craven 1908; D Beaton 1909.
Area ND 1205 6895. No trace of a building exists in this area, which is flooded at high tide.
Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 105, 107.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 7, 42.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Craven, J B. 1908. Diocese of Caithness. 23.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1199 6890 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8434 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.