MHG1413 - Fish Stane, High Street, Thurso
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- MARKET PLACE (Undated)
- None recorded
Beside the monument to Dr Grant Smith oppsite the Town Hall is the Fish Stone where the produce of the sea used to be sold.
Thurso Town Council 1934.
The original site of the ancient cross of the town called the 'Fish Stane', restored at the beginning of this century by David Horne of Glasgow, was nearer the corner of the street.
W Campbell 1902.
ND 1185 6852. The stone now stands outside the N corner of the Town Hall. It measures 0.6 by 0.5 by 0.3m and fixed to it is a metal plaque with the words "Ye Auld Fish Stane", an emblem of crossed fishes, and a date 1900.
Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.
The Fish Stane is now in Thurso Folk Museum.
Visited by OS (J M) 16 February 1982.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1192 6850 (161m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8439 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.