MHG1416 - Chapel between Bleachfield & Stainland
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
There was a chapel a short distance to SE of Thurso between Bleachfield (ND 115 665) and Stainland (ND 123 669) of which no trace can now be seen. "The chapel walls were standing at the beginning of 19th century, and a man still living remembers 'a little God' or image which was still preserved when roof had fallen in, and which country people used to clothe with a little shirt on Christmas night. The site is now a ploughed field" (information from Dr Smith, Thurso).
J B Craven 1908; D Beaton 1908.
No trace found. No further info.
Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.
No change after local enquiries and visit on the ground.
Visited by OS (J M) 16 February 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 105, 107.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 43.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Craven, J B. 1908. Diocese of Caithness. 35.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1100 6600 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8444 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.