MHG14187 - Town Steeple, 2 Bridge Street & Church Street, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Architect: Alexander Laing. Foundation stone laid 22 August 1789
Town Steeple, 2 Bridge Street/ChurchStreet, Inverness. <1>
At the corner of Church Street and High Street stands the jail, surmounted by a remarkably handsome spire 150 feet (46m) high. They were built in 1791, at the cost of about £3,400, only £1,800 of which was expended on the jail. The spire resembles that of St Andrew's church in Edinburgh, and was built by the same architect, but excels it in symmetry, and is remarkably handsome. It stop, however, was severely twisted by the earthquake of 1816, and is ragged and ruinous. <5>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Barron, E. 1967. Old Inverness: a collection of prints in colour and black and white.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1996. Tolbooths and town-houses: civic architecture in Scotland to 1833. . pp 109-110.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6664 4521 (8m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35153 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75318 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.