MHG14188 - Former prison - Castle Hill, Castle Wynd, Inverness
The former Inverness prison on Castle Hill, Castle Wynd. Later converted to use as a police station and local government offices.
Type and Period (3)
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- PRISON (19th Century - 1843 AD to 1846 AD (built))
- POLICE STATION (Altered, 20th Century to Unknown - 1904 AD)
The former Inverness prison on Castle Hill, Castle Wynd. Later converted to use as a police station and local government offices. Listed at Category A.
Architect: William Burn 1843 -design not carried out
Architect: Thomas Brown 1846-9
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD46/17/58:
Meeting concerning a new courthouse and jail. Excerpts from minutes. 1812
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD 46/17/59:
Need for a new courthouse and jail. Excerpts from Minutes of a General Meeting where plans were discussed. 1812
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD 128/37/15:
"The Castle" [The County Hall], Letter from William Brodie to Tytler. His letter concerns the preparations for laying the Foundation Stone with full Maxonic ceremony. 1834
[*Architect: William Burn 1789-1870]
The building (along with the Sheriff's Court to the south) was listed at category A in 1971.
The building was reviewed as part of a Historic Scotland nationwide review of purpose-built court houses in 2014-15. It was recommended that the listed building record and statutory address should be updated. <1>
The listed building record and statutory address were updated by Historic Scotland in Sept 2015. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse. 1838. Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse. p.133.
- <1> Text/Report: Listing and Designed Landscape Team. 2015. Assessment Against the Listing Criteria: Inverness Sheriff Court and Police Station. Historic Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Sixteenth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 15/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6663 4511 (42m by 33m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35166 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/98263 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.