MHG14238 - Cairn - Torr Sgriobhaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH68SE 2 6973 8466.
(NH 6973 8466) Torr Sgriobhaidh (NAT) Cairn (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A short cist was found in a cairn on Torr Sgriobhaidh. In the cist was a knife of black flint, together with a crescentic necklace of jet which is now in the Royal Scottish Academy.
J G Callander 1916.
Torr Sgriobhaidh is a large prominent natural knoll 41m N-S by 35m E-W and c. 5m high on the west side. It is grass-covered and no traces of a cairn or cist were seen on it.
Visited by OS (W D J) 14 May 1963.
Jet necklace and flint knife are now in RMS (NMAS): L.1591.1a, 1b. Palace of History 1911; RCAHMS 1979; A Morrison 1979.
The necklace and knife have different accession numbers now; X.2011.2.1 and X.2011.2.2 respectively. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1916. 'Notice of a jet necklace found in a cist in a Bronze Age cemetery, discovered on Burgie Lodge Farm, Morayshire, with notes on Scottish prehistoric jet ornaments', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 50 1915-16, p.201-40. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 201-40. 212, 239.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Morrison, A. 1979. 'A Bronze Age burial site at South Mound, Houston, Renfrewshire', Glasgow Archaeol J, Vol 6, pp 20-45. p 25.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Glaister, J (et al). 1911. Scottish exhibition of national history, art and industry, Glasgow (1911): Palace of History catalogue of exhibits. 871, No. 17.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 66.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6972 8465 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13897 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.