MHG14246 - Chambered Cairn - Achaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
Achaidh: A short horned cairn of Orkney-Cromarty type, with a polygonal chamber. Excavated by Curle 1909, cairn stands in an area of recently-cut woodland. Before excavation cairn had been somewhat disturbed but still stood 8ft high. It has been further robbed, especially on N side and now reaches a maximum height of only 5ft behind the chamber. Then, as now, edges of cairn were indefinite, but there can be little doubt that there are horns projecting to ENE, SE, WSW and NW for about 16ft and measuring c20ft across their bases. Diameter of cairn betw horns N-S is 53ft and E-W 50ft.
On excavation, chamber was found to contain layer of sand, over layer of black oil which covered flagged floor. From sand-layer came flint scraper (now in NMAS - Acc No: EO 338) and rim-sherd (EO 339), probably Iron Age. In or on sand-layer was an adult unburnt skeleton with few partially burnt fragments of bone, not certainly human.
A O Curle 1910; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
This chambered cairn as described above. Measures some 17m N-S by 16m transversely with indications of horns on W and E sides. The cairn consists of a substantial mound of stones, maximum height c1.7m. The well-defined chamber measures about 2.8m by 2.1m and inner end of passage leading to chamber can be seen below a large lintel. The lintel covering outer end of passage was not located.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 May 1963.
A chambered cairn, as described and planned.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 19 September 1980.
This cairn is as previously described. Considerable disturbance has been caused by stone robbing and excavation but none of this appears to be recent.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.12
NH 66 90 (c) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6715 9116 Chambered cairn. (NMRS NH 69 SE 7)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland S Carter 1997
The rim sherd of pottery donated by Curle in 1909 (Acc. No. EO 338) is described in the NMS catalogue as the lip of a vessel of dark brown pottery, thin, curved, 2" x 1 5/8". The scraper (EO 339) is of light brown flint. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6714 9116 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SHERD (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13993 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.