MHG1426 - Meeting place and market - Spittalhill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MOOT? (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MARKET? (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Spittal Hill (NAT) OS 6" map, (1971)
Spittal Hill (Spittal was a parish until combined with Halkirk in the 16th century), the highest point in Halkirk parish, was until about 1827 a traditional meeting place. Here was held an annual market named 'the Jamesmas' according to the NSA (1845) and 'Georgemas Fair' according to the ONB (1872). The latter authority, quoting Torfeus, says that a great army led by 'Comes Magbradus' assembled here in the 10th century to attack Liotus, Earl of Orkney, in the moss to the S. (See ND15SE 12 for where the battle is reputed to have taken place.)
NSA 1845; Name Book 1871; 1872; T Torfaeus 1866; H Scott et al 1915-61.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, (Caithness) 68-9.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 7, 121.
- --- SHG2889 Text/Publication/Volume: Torfaeus, T. 1866. Ancient history of Orkney, Caithness, etc.. 21-4.
- --- SHG3372 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 161; Book No. 12, 51.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1676 5561 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8287 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.