MHG14267 - Cup marked stone, NE of Cantraybruich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NH74NE 19 7777 4621.
A cupped stone was found in May, 1881, face downwards, in a field, below and a little to NE of Cantrybruiach, to which it has been removed, Mr Hamilton, tennant; the finder. The stone is a slab of local reddish-yellow sandstone 5ft long by 2 1/2 - 3ft broad by 9 - 10ins thick with some 35 cup-marks.
W Jolly 1882.
This cup-marked stone has been built into the garden wall of Cantray bruich at NH 7777 4621. Only one face can be seen, containing at least 18 cup-marks. No knowledge could be gained regarding its original find-spot.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 12 August 1964.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 383.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 46.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7776 4620 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14154 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.