MHG14276 - Chapel - Milltown of Clava
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
There is a Columban chapel at Clava believed to be dedicated to St. Dorothy.
G Bain 1893; NSA (written by Rev A Campbell - 1841) 1845.
Near the circle to the south of Milton there is an oblong enclosure, with two large blocks lying at its SE corner, forming a kind of entrance of the enclosure. Within it there are the foundations of a small building known as St. Bridget's Chapel. The numerous large stones still remaining in connection with the enclosure and its contents would point to the former existence here of another great cairn like the others at Clava.
W Jolly 1882.
The site of the possible ring cairn, the standing stone and the chapel were scheduled together with the other Clava cairns in the area in 1882.
All that seems to remain of circle at Milltown of Clava, is a standing stone at SW corner of the ruin of the ancient chapel, which is said to have been built within the area of the circle. The walls of the chapel measure about 30 feet long by 19 or 20 feet broad, with a door on the side facing the south-east. Around the chapel are the remains of the wall of a nearly rectangular burying-ground.
J Fraser 1884.
NH74SE 7 7522 4393.
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of) Chapel (NR) (Site of). Grave Yard (disused)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
No structural features are now to be seen at this site, If there was a Clava-type cairn here it was completely demolished for the chapel which is said to occupy its site and the foundations of which can still be traced. There are certainly various stones about the ruins which suggest the presence of a Clava cairn but none appear to be in situ and it is possible that they have been brought from the north cairn.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 21 April 1958.
These remains are as described above.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.
APs, taken by Jill Harden in 1989, are in Inverness Museum (8907.03-05 INVMG).
Information from J Harden 1989.
The site of the possible ring cairn, the standing stone and the chapel within its enclosure were scheduled in their own right by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2017 according to the location of the feature as shown on OS MasterMap. <3>
J Aitken : 17/12/02
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 320-1 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.
Fraser, J, 1884, 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62, p.328-62, 328, 341 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG537.
Bain, G, 1893, History of Nairnshire, 39 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1938.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 383, INV 44 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 10, No.31; 28, No.228 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
<1> MacIver, M., 2016, Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27658.
<2> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13652: Milton of Clava, chapel and standing stone 255m SSW of (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27700.
<3> Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Mastermap (Image/Map). SHG23361.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 320-1.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 10, No.31; 28, No.228.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 383, INV 44.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. p.328-62, 328, 341.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13652: Milton of Clava, chapel and standing stone 255m SSW of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7522 4393 (12m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13652 (View HES designation record and full description)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14282 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.