MHG14279 - Findspot of possible cross base, Newhall Point
The approximate findspot of a rectangular carved stone, possibly a cross base, found during gardening.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CARVED STONE (Undated)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
A local resident "has reported the discovery of a rectangular masoned stone, some 0.6m by 0.4m by 0.12m with a central rectangular slot cut out of it, some 0.22m by 0.1m in size. It was found during gardening at the back of her property which abuts the recent excavations at Balblair, NH 709670."
"I was passing the area the day before I went on holiday so called in to see her. The stone looks to me like a very small version of the Broad Stone in Inverness. In the meantime she has also found a masoned piece of sandstone, tooled on five sides, which with a bit of imagination looks as if it could have come from a free standing cross." <1>
Thie rectangular masoned stone is possibly the stone support for a free standing cross. <2>
Balblair, Ross and Cromarty, cross-base
Measurements: H 0.30m, L 1.70m, W 0.41m
Stone type: sandstone
Place of discovery: NH 709 670
Present location: Groam House Museum, Rosemarkie.
Evidence for discovery: found in 1986 buried in the garden of Moonraker’s Cottage, Newhall Point, Balblair, near the site of a medieval chapel. Taken to Groam House Museum in 2003.
Present condition: good.
This is a low rectangular cross-base carved from a single slab, with a socket penetrating right through the stone. The socket is also rectangular and measures 0.23m by 0.09m and is surrounded by a slightly raised plain border some 0.08m wide with a notch at one end of the socket.
References: DES 1986, 15.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2017
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 272692.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Harden, J. 1986. Letter from Jill Harden to Robert Gourlay, Highland Council.
- <2> Text/Publication/Serial: Proudfoot, E V W and Proudfoot, B E (eds). 1986. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1986. p 15.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 70913 67074 (24m by 24m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- CROSS? (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD? to 1559 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/library/des/index.cfm (View Discovery and Excavation volumes from 1947 to 2003 on Archaeology Data Service website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/272692 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.