MHG1429 - Chapel, Achanarras
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The OSA (1797) refers to ecclesiastical remains 'at a place on a rising ground to W of church (ND 15 SE 1), called Auchinarras, that is, 'the Field of the Altar'. The exact location of this site is unknown. (It would seem more probable that entry in the Stat.Acct. is a misinterpretation of broch remains noted on ND15NE 2.)
OSA 1797; L J Myatt 1975.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 19, 46-7.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1510 5510 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8290 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.