MHG14292 - Site of cairn - Scotsburn Wood (Cairn F)
The site of a cairn in Scotsburn Wood.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
One of a number of cairns in Scotsburn Wood. Originally recorded as Cairn F. Noted as 'Site of cairn' on OS 1st Edition map and still shown as this on modern OS MasterMap. The NGR is based on its location as seen on the latter.
". . . traditionally said to indicate an ancient battle between some Scottish forces and the Danes." <1>
Carn nam Marbh (Dead Men's Cairn): This cairn and those in Scotsburn Wood are almost certain to mark the site of a battle. Neighbouring names are: "Lochan a' Chlaidheimh" - Sword Lochlet, and Bearnas a' Chalaidheimh" - Sword Cleft. <2>
NH77NW 5 726 766.
A: (NH 7304 7644) Cairn (NR), B: (NH 7300 7649) Cairn (NR), C: (NH 7282 7673) Cairn (NR), D: (NH 7260 7687) Cairn (NR), E: (NH 7218 7679) Cairn (NR) and F: (NH 7220 7669) Site of Cairn (NR)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
In the area centred NH 7261 7667 on the S-facing slopes of Beinn an Lochain are, or have been, six cairns in the positions given. All are in an area that has been fairly recently reafforested.
There are no remains of cairn F.
Visited by OS (R D L) 17 May 1963.
Cairn F: no trace.
Re-surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (JS) and (AA) 14 3 1973.
This cairn was destroyed before 1904. <3>
NGR amended 2017 to position as shown on OS MasterMap. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. lxxxiii, p.60.
- <3> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 22; 12, Nos. 58-61.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7220 7669 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14577 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.