MHG14343 - Chapel, Well and Burial Ground - Chapel-Town
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- WELL (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HOLY WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
This is is recorded on all the OS maps as Grave Yard (Remains of and Site of Chapel.. As is discussed above there are no remains visible here and it is possible that it should be sited elsewhere.
The area around here is heavily overgrown with juniper and birch scrub. There is a boulder and earth dyke as shown on the current OS map extending 30m North East from the present farm boundary and some 60m North of the old boundary wall. Rather than bounding a graveyard, it would appear to mark an enclosure to the North as the ground appears more fertile here.
Wordsworth 1996, Site 4 (see Hlinked report)
NH91NW 9 9298 1983.
(NH 9298 1983) (Remains of) and Site of Chapel (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
An old graveyard called Chapel-town or Bail-an-chaibeil is the site of the separate church of Deshur, the south part of the parish of Duthil. In 1783 it was under crop. No dedication is known.
Fuaran Fionntag or the Well of Virtue, famed for curing toothache, is situated nearby.
A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875.
There are no visible remains of a chapel or graveyard in the area indicated, which is in a cultivated field. The tradition of a chapel having been there is known locally, but no well is known of in the area.
Visited by OS (R L) 4 November 1966.
- --- SHG1803 Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, A and Drummond, J. 1874. Vacation notes in Cromar, Burghead, and Strathspey. Including notice of one of the supposed burial-places of St Columba. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 10. 603-89. 673.
- --- SHG20964 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1996. An Archaeological Survey of Balnacruie of Deishar Farm, Boat Of Garten. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 01/04/1997. Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9297 1982 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15402 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.