MHG14367 - Cist burial, Balnabruach
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BURIAL (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A chance find of human remains was made on 24th June 1993 during excavations by the Highland Regional Council Department of Water and Sewerage, to insert underground pipes at Balnabruaich, Portmahomack. A human skull and other bones had been disturbed by the machine during excavation of the trench. The remains appeared to be those of a single adult which appeared to have been interred within the fragmentary remains of a stone cist or short coffin. Damage to the remains were considerable. It was suggested that the burial probably dated to the Bronze Age, although the lack of accompanying grave goods made this uncertain. <1> <2> <3> <4> <5>
The finds were reported in the Press and Journal of June 25th 1993. <6>
The bones were subsequently analysed by DH Lorimer. The remains probably belonged to a young adult male in his late teens or early twenties. <7>
A watching brief was subsequently maintained intermittently by Highland Regional Council and further discoveries were made (see MHG14365 & MHG14366).
The records from the watching brief were re-examined and skeletal material analysed. The human remains from this area (site 1, burial A) are considered to be the disturbed remains of a young adult male associated with slabs which were interpreted as the remains of a short cist. Radiocarbon dates were obtained for the Balnabruach group as part of the Tarbat Programme and Burial A was dated to 410-230 cal BC (calibrated at 2 sigma), placing them in the Iron Age. <8>
The updated osteology report can be viewed online as part of the Tarbat Discovery Programme Archive, hosted by ADS. See link below. <9>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Gourlay, R.. 1993. Human Bones at Balnabruaich, Portmahomack, Easter Ross: Archaeological Report. Highland Regional Council. . Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lowe, D.. 1993?. Portmahomack Drainage: Archaeology. Highland Regional Council. . Paper and Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Balnabruach. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Balnabruach. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Balnabruach. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <6> Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Press and Journal. 1993. No skulduggery here. Press and Journal 25.06.1993. . Original and digital.
- <7> Text/Report: Lorimer, D.H.. 1994. Report on the human bones found at the Portmahomack Drainage Site: Archaeological Section, Highland Region. Unaffiliated. . .
- <8> Text/Publication/Monograph: Carver, M., Garner-Lahire, J. & Spall, C.. 2016. Portmahomack on Tarbat Ness: Changing Ideologies in North-east Scotland, Sixth to Sixteenth Century AD. Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Monograph Series. Paper (Copy). Pp. 101, D17-18.
- <9> Collection/Project Archive: Carver, M.. 2017. The Tarbat Discovery Programme. Archaeology Data Service. Digital (web). 8.3.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9105 8408 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD) + Sci.Date
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.