MHG1444 - Bishops Bridge, Thurso
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Bishop's Bridge (NR) (Site) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed. (1907)
Bishop's Bridge (Remains): Applies to the remains of a small bridge that formerly crossed the stream close to the Castle of Scrabster (ND16NW 3). The property of the Crown, this bridge is coeval with the Castle.
Name Book 1872.
The abutments of this bridge can still be seen on either side of Burnside Burn at ND 1062 6914. N abutment is quite prominent, standing to a height of about 2m. It is 3m wide at the face and is revetted with stone to a present height of some 1m. Only the stone face of S abutment can be seen; it is 3m long by 0.4m high. Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 18 April 1962
Only N abutment survives as shown on 1962 ground photograph; S abutment has since been destroyed.
Visited by OS (J M) 24 September 1981.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1062 6911 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8460 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.