MHG14573 - Trumpet Brooch - Achinchanter
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (CULTURE 79; CULTURE 215; , Roman - 79 AD to 215 AD)
- None recorded
NH 789 904 trumpet brooch found with metal detector in ploughsoil. Length: 45mm. Characteristic Romano-british trumpet brooch of earlier 2nd Century date. This example is a small and cheaper cast piece with cast chain loop (missing) and hinged pin. The mid-bow moulding is of crude acanthus type, with moulding only on front face. The foot knob and base of catch plate are missing. Decorated with Celtic swirling blue enamelled mouldings. <1>
The brooch was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 36/95) and allocated to Inverness Museum. It is listed under Acc. No. 1996.006. <2> <3>
There is a short report on the brooch in Inverness Museum archive files. <4>
- <1> SHG94 Text/Publication/Article: Hanley and Gallon, R G and M. 1995. 'Achinchanter (Dornoch parish), Romano-British trumpet brooch', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.47. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 47. pp. 47.
- <2> SHG28208 Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 36/95.
- <3> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1996.006.
- <4> SHG28371 Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1996.006.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7980 9040 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- TRUMPET BROOCH (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.