MHG14649 - Hut circle - Erbusaig Burn
A hut circle at Erbusaig Burn.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Erbusaig Burn.
Hut circle: recorded in June 1994 by M Wildgoose during a comprehensive survey of Balmacara NTS estate. At NG 7705 2985 is a well preserved, stone built but circle, 6m in diameter over walls 0.40 m wide. The walls thicken slightly at the east facing entrance which measures 0.35 m in width. Situated on a natural terrace in a shallow gully on the east flank of An Carn. <1>
Photographed in the early 1990s? <2> <3>
177066 829871 An Carn (Erbusaig Burn) AW030: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and M Wildgoose in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular HC sits on a sheltered and level natural terrace facing E below the steep rocky slopes of An Carn. The wall stones are clearly visible but the interior of the structure is submerged in bracken. Where the double skin is not evident it is probable that the structure has been robbed. Average internal diameter is 4.4m, external diam 5.8m. The double skinned wall is 1m thick and max height is 0.6m. The wall fill appears to be rubble. The entrance is definite, is of constant width 0.8m, and faces E. <4> <5>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <6>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 1 - 1994: A survey of seven sample areas. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Paper and Digital. Site 11.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. 1990s?. Hut circle at An Carn (Erbusaig Burn). Colour Slide. . Original & digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. 1990s?. Hut circle at An Carn (Erbusaig Burn). Colour Slide. . Original & digital.
- <4> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AW030.
- <5> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AW030.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7706 2988 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.