MHG1466 - Thurso Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Highland Railway, Far North line. (Undated) info in NMRS).
(Location cited as ND 113 678). Thurso Station, built 1874 for the Sutherland and Caithness Rly). A single-platform terminal station with a wooden overall roof, almost identical to that at Wick (ND35SE 73). In the yard is a wooden goods shed of standard Highland Rly pattern, and nearby are many animal pens. <1>
The building was added to the Statutory List at Category B in 1984.
Railway station, Station Square, 1872-4, by Murdoch Paterson, virtually identical to his contemporary station at Wick (ND35SE 73). Large shed with faintly Italianate detail. <2>
This station is terminus of Georgemas Junction - Thurso portion of the 'Far North' line of the former Highland Rly. It was opened (by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly) on 28 July 1874 and remains in regular passenger use. <3>
A basic photographic survey of the building was carried out by IDP Architects in 2014 in response to a condition on a planning application for internal refurbishment. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bonavia, M R. 1987. Historic railway sites in Britain. 194, 195.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 196.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 132.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 229.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): IDP Architects. 2014. Photographic Survey of Thurso Railway Station, Station Square, Ormlie Road, Thurso. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1129 6792 (29m by 48m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42035 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8483 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.