MHG1467 - Thurso Gas Works
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GAS WORKS (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
(Location cited as ND 118 683). Thurso Gas Works, mid 19th century and later. An interesting complex, now closed, largely 19th century in construction with a handsome retort house with a stone-built, square-section chimney, an 8-column gas holder, and a 2-storey, 4-bay office block with an arched cart entrance.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
The location given by Hume differs from that plotted by RCAHMS. At the location given by Hume, the Gas Works appears to be depicted on the 2nd edition, with an 8-column gas holder and other buildings as described, although it is not marked as such. The site is now a car park and no trace of the buildings described by Hume are apparent. <2>-<4>
- <1> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 196.
- <2> SHG23362 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> SHG24735 Interactive Resource: Google. Google Streetview. Digital.
- <4> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1170 6830 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8484 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.