MHG14684 - Hut circle - Coille Mhor
Hut circle at Coille Mhor.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Hut circle at Coille Mhor.
Hut circle: recorded in June 1994 by M Wildgoose during a comprehensive survey of Balmacara NTS estate. A ruinous stone built hut. 15 m in diameter, over walls 1.5 m thick. A narrow door opening faces to the SE, down-slope towards a deeply gullied burn. A small circular stone setting 4 m in overall diameter lies within the circle to the west side. A footpath passes immediately to the east of the but circle which lies in birch woodland. <1>
108058 802910 Coille Mor 1 MW010: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and M Wildgoose in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. The circular HC lies on a level platform in grassy birch woodland. Average internal double skinned wall diameter is 11.5m, external diam is 14.7m, wall thickness 1.5m, no max height was possible to measure. There is a definite entrance, external width 1.3m, external width 1.4m, entrance passage length 2.1m. The entrance is downslope towards a deeply gullied burn. Outside the entrance is a possible terrace. Also, around the entrance, some stones have slipped slightly downslope.The west side of the HC is missing, perhaps slipped downslope. A footpath passes to E of HC. A circular stone setting 4m in diameter lies within the HC to the W side. The HC may be associated with MW011 (see MHG14687), 300 m distant and at a higher elevation. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs and based on photographs supplied as part of <2> above. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 1 - 1994: A survey of seven sample areas. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Paper and Digital. 42.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MW010.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MW010.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8054 2911 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/87833 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.