MHG14687 - Hut circle - Coille Mhor
A hut circle at Coille Mhor.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Coille Mhor.
A hut circle recorded in June 1994 by M Wildgoose during a comprehensive survey of Balmacara NTS estate. NG 8068 2945: A stone built hut, 10 m in diameter over walls 1 m wide. The walls at the entrance thicken to 2.5 m in width, forming a passage 2.5 m long by 1 m wide on the inside. A ruined twinning pen lies within the hut. Situated in birch woodland on an east facing hillside. <1>
180721 829427 Coille Mor 2 MW011: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and J Glazzard in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular HC is sited in a shallow gully on a gentle E facing slope in grassy birch woodland. To the S the woodland gives way to heather moorland. It is difficult to discern the HC shape as there is much tumble of large boulders. Average double skinned inner wall diameter is 7.5m, external wall diam is 8.7m, wall thickness 1m, wall max height 0.3m. There is a definite entrance to E. Internal entrance width is 1m, external width 1.5m, and the entrance passage way is 2.5m long, giving an extended entrance. The HC is 300 m from Coille Mor 1, MW010 (see MHG). There is a twinning pen inside the HC. There is apoor view from the HC even if tree cover were removed. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> SHG20894 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 1 - 1994: A survey of seven sample areas. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Paper and Digital. Site 45.
- <2> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MW011.
- <3> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MW011.
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8067 2945 (18m by 18m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.