MHG14706 - Hut circle - Rassal
A hut circle at Rassal.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Rassal.
NG 8473 4316 A hut circle survives below the copper mines and to the S of the ash wood. <1>
184657 843153 Rassal PS004: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and P Swan in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. The circular HC is situated on a flat plateau of green grass between 2 seasonal burns and below a hill slope. The site is immediately above an area of protected ash woodland. The small seasonal burns avoid the structure, indicating possible unseen drainage ditches which have protected the original structure. Average inner double skinned wall diameter is 9m, external diameter 12.80m, wall thickness 2.3m, max height 0.75m. No entrance discernable. Copper Ore has been mined 200m NE on hill slope Hammerstone found 18/03/2012 by J Womble in burn beside structure. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1995. 'Rassal (Applecross parish), hut circle', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. PS004.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. PS004.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8465 4316 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.