MHG1472 - Tortoise (Oval) Brooch - Thurso
Findspot of tortoise brooch.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to Norse - 561 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
A Viking-age tortoise brooch from Thurso is in RMS (treasure trove). Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1987.
An oval Viking brooch of bronze in two pieces, double shelled and decorated is listed in the NMS catalogue from Thurso. Acc. No. IL 862. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: 1875. 'Tortoise or Bowl-shaped Brooches.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1874, p.549-51. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 549-51. 549-51.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1987. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, 1 April 1984- 30 September 1985', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 115 1985, p.449-78. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 449-78. 454; illust 4..
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IL 862.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1099 6799 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BROOCH (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8490 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.