MHG14741 - Buildings and Wall/enclosure Achlorachan Wood, Meig
Buildings and Wall/enclosure at Achlorachan Wood, Meig
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The remains of a late medieval pre-clearance farmstead, consisting of three rectangular building foundations, and L-shaped stock enclosure and field dykes. <1>
Achlorachan Wood Buildings and Wall/enclosure (778 – 780) - centred on NH 3360 5510 (SMR No - NH35NW 0004). The site comprises the footings of 2 buildings and a length of wall which bounds a grassy field. It is on a glacial terrace along which runs a track. The remains of the buildings are in a ploughed and newly planted forest on the north side of the track. The wall is on the south side of the track.
778 Wall/Enclosure - NH 33658 55123 (east end) to NH 33490 550110 (west end) The remains of a stone wall, c180m in length, are seen along the edge of the glacial terrace. It generally comprises just large single boulders and may have been robbed of its smaller stone. Below and to the south, beside the river, there is a fertile improved area. It is possible that a track may have run along the north side of the wall at one time.
779 Building - NH 33604 55087 A rectangular building on an NW-SE axis within a recently felled and replanted forest. It measures 11m x 3.5m internally. The substantial stone footings are 0.5m in height and have a spread of 1m. There are 2 compartments, that at the west end is 6.5m x 3.5m, that at the east 4m x 3.5m.
780 Building - NH 33610 55077 A rectangular building on the same alignment and a few metres to the SE of 779, measures 9m x 3m. The heather covered footings are 0.5m in height and have a spread of 1m. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Ross, D.W.. 1991. Forestry Survey, Achlorachan Wood, Strathconon. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.38/9 Sites 778 - 780.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3359 5512 (153m by 77m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308512 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.