MHG1491 - Broch, Achlachan Moss
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Brough (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1908)
At S end of Achlochan Moss and about 0.5 mile ESE of Dale farm, a grass-covered circular mound, in form of a ring, marks the remains of a broch. The overall diameter is 74ft N-S by some 69ft transversely, while elevation varies from 4-6ft. The interior measures some 35ft across and is from 4 to 54ft deep. Certain depressions on top of enclosing mound may indicate the positions of chambers. There are no indication of outworks.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
The remains of this broch are as described above.
Visited by OS (E G C) 15 April 1962
(ND 1418 5306) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
A broch, generally as described. The depressions noted by the RCAHMS may be traces of a mural gallery.
Visited by OS (J M) 25 November 1962
'Broch', Achlochan Moss. Dimensions: 27 x 22m. Grass-covered subcircular mound 2m high, outer wall facing visible on the SW and NE sectors. The interior has a diameter of 8m.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 32, No. 102 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Wordsworth J, 1997, An Archaeological Survey of a proposed plantation at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG20984.
Wordsworth, J, 1997, Archaeological Survey of Proposed Woodland at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2947.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of a proposed plantation at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 32, No. 102.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wordsworth, J. 1997. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Woodland at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1418 5305 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:545 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM545 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8377 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.