MHG14918 - Coulags Bridge, over Fionn-Abhainn River
Single span bridge by Thomas Telford, built c.1815.
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (circa))
Drochaid fionn-amhain marked on 1st ed OS. Still in use today. <1>
A single span road bridge by Thomas Telford, c.1815. It was rebuilt or extensively repaired to the original design in 1880. It lies on the Contin-Strome Ferry Parliamentary road which was built between 1813 and 1819. <2>
Mr Mackenzie of Applecross was the contractor for this section of road, including this bridge, from Lochcarron up through the glen toward Acknasheen and was completed in 1817. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 7255.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Swan, P. 01/2011. Information on Coulags Bridge. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 95724 45104 (28m by 16m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7255 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL115 (View photographs and information on Scottish Highland Bridges website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105497 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.