MHG15 - Township, Portabhata

Summary

Site of medieval township. Abandoned in 1871

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (OCCUPIED 1560; ABANDONED POST MEDIEVAL; , Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Grid reference positioned at centre of site.

Scheduled 3/2003 - see Associated Documents for details - HAW 4/2003

A township comprising nine unroofed buildings, two enclosures and a ring dyke with what may be further lengths of head-dyke attached is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xxxix). Nine unroofed buildings, one enclosure, the ring dyke and the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 May 1998

Cruck-slots noted. G Stell 1981

Portabhata. Remains of 11 houses and (?) kiln, occupied by 1755, abandoned by 1871. P Gaskell 1968

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 573 572 (432m by 163m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NM55NE
Civil Parish MORVERN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.